Thursday, August 28, 2014

background and intro

I started writing software in the Fall 2012 taking Toronto U's Learn to Program through Coursera. Followed by several other moocs in Machine Learning, Neural Networks, Algorithms, Computational Investments, Computational Econometrics, Data Analysis, etc... By July 2013, I quit my old job as the Manager of Trade Operations and Support for DayTradeTheWorld.com to build a new company with 4 partners and start working towards setting up our own hedge-fund.

With this change I became a full time developer, writting code every day of the week from morning to evening, mostly on Python. After 6 months I started learning SQL taking Stanford's Introduction to Databases mooc and for the best part of the first semester 2014 I'm working most of the time on our PostgreSQL database.

Around April we decide to move many of our DB procedures to C in order to optimize their run time. At this point I took CS50 at Edx to learn the ropes of C, and later I started reading The C++ Programming Language and C++ In Action: Industrial Strenght Programming. My intention is to learn C & C++ using these tools and studying the C code that my partner has already developed for our system.
In this blog I intend to cover the process of learning C/C++ and moving all of the components that I built for our hedgefund in Python during the last year into this new language.

No comments:

Post a Comment